- Ages 4;6–9;11
- Norm-referenced; standard scores, percentile ranks, confidence intervals, and age equivalents
- Examiner’s Manual, Trial Item Stimulus Card, Three Story Books (Levels 1–3), Record Form
The HearBuilder Story Retell Test (H-SRT) consists of the Story Retell subtest of the Emerging Literacy & Language Assessment (ELLA). It evaluates a student’s ability to listen to, remember the content of, and reconstruct and retell a story. H-SRT meets Early Reading First and Reading First requirements.
How to Administer the H-SRT
To administer the H-SRT, read the student a story while showing him/her the pictures in a storybook. There is a trial item story for use with the Trial Item Stimulus Card, and then there are three stories contained in individual storybooks (Level 1 – A Day at the Beach, for ages 4;6–5;5; Level 2 – Ice Cream Surprise, for ages 5;6–6;11; and Level 3 – Making the Team, for ages 7;0–9;11). After reading the story to the student from the Record Form while showing the picture card or age-appropriate storybook, give the stimulus card or storybook to the student and have him/her tell the story back to you. Record responses on the Record Form.
Who May Administer the H-SRT?
Speech-language pathologists, special educators, resource specialists, reading specialists, school psychologists, and other professionals who are knowledgeable about literacy and language may administer the H-SRT. Test administrators should be experienced in the administration, scoring, and interpretation of standardized tests.
H-SRT allows examiners to obtain standard scores, confidence intervals, percentile ranks, and age equivalents.
H-SRT kit includes:
- The Examiner’s Manual with descriptions, explanations, and directions for administration, scoring, and interpretation
- Trial Item Stimulus Card
- Three Story Books:
- Level 1 – A Day at the Beach (ages 4;6–5;5)
- Level 2 – Ice Cream Surprise (ages 5;6–6;11)
- Level 3 – Making the Team (ages 7;0–9;11)
- The Record Form which provides directions, space to record responses, and a scoring summary