Map It Out is the perfect resource for students who rely heavily on visual cues for learning and communicating, including individuals with autism and auditory processing difficulties. This 328-page book provides graphic organizers and 50 reproducible units of conceptual maps targeting the following language areas:
- Meaning and Content (Semantics)
- Word Definitions
- Verbal Analogies
- Metaphors and Similes
- Text Comprehension
- Story Organizer
- Interpreting Text Titles
- Who-Story Analysis
- Dynamic Characterization
- Context (Pragmatics)
- Decision-Making Requests for Clarification
- Perspective Taking
- Negotiating Terms
- Developing Trust
- School Knowledge/Study Skills
- Remembering Events
- Remembering Teacher Instructions
- School (Organizational) Culture
Each Map It Out unit relates to academic and social situations faced by youth at all levels of instruction. The units provide:
- An introduction with sample dialogue and ideas for extending activities.
- A master map to use as a teacher’s guide to summarize the key relationships.
- A completed map to illustrate how students might use the map.
- A blank work map to hand out to students to complete individually or as a group.
With Map It Out you will have one or more maps at your fingertips to use each day, especially when you’re using the classroom curriculum for the basis of your intervention or if you are providing collaborative instruction with general and special educators!
Want to customize the 50 conceptual maps? Then, purchase Map It Out Customizable Word Maps CD-ROM. The CD-ROM allows you to type information into the chart, and then read the customized map onscreen or print it out for instructional use.