Help older students with Autism Spectrum Disorder, or other language disorders, solve and respond to social problems and develop critical executive function skills of organization, arranging, and planning. Social Language Photo Cards Adolescent and activities can help students:
- Develop executive function skills to solve social problems.
- Deal with conflicts in a socially appropriate manner.
- Generalize new social language and behavior skills outside of therapy.
These crisp, engaging color photo cards depict familiar themes and social exchanges unique to adolescents. Generalization activities include personalizing the scenarios to engage students in discussing such life skills as planning for their future and dealing with conflict.
The 200 photo cards target four different areas of social exchange:
- Time-based cards present problems in the past, present, and future. Students learn the consequences of past behaviors and use that knowledge to make better decisions in the future. The generalization cards require students to reflect on how they solved a problem in the past and brainstorm solutions for better outcomes in the future when faced with similar problems.
- Place or Rank Ordering cards require student to identify multiple, simultaneously occurring problems, rank them based on importance or urgency, and develop an action plan. The generalization cards ask students to visualize themselves in the setting and modify the problem so it is similar to a problem they may have personally encountered in the past.
- Purpose-based cards ask students to identify the purpose of social interactions in order to keep a conversation flowing. In the generalization activity, students visualize themselves taking part in the conversation and responding to questions.
- Audience-based cards require students to evaluate the needs of their listeners and generate a response. Students respond differently to a peer vs. a person of authority and learn to make subtle changes in tone, the amount and type of details to share, and the use of slang. Generalization activities require students to reflect on problems from their past in order to solve similar problems they may face in the future.
Social Language Photo Cards Adolescent
- 200 double-sided, full-color photo/stimuli cards (5" x 7")
- Instruction card for each of the four categories (4 cards-5"x 7" )