Help your students practice and generalize fluent speech outside the therapy room!
Fluency Scenes Adolescent contains 50 cards with illustrated scenes depicting common preteen/adolescent scenarios on the front and stimulus items on the back. Each set of cards within the deck teaches a fluency strategy in small, progressive steps. Strategies in the last set of cards target transfer and maintenance.
Fluency Scenes Adolescent Card Set
- Cards 1-5: Establishing fluency through increasing longer and more complex utterances
Over-exaggerated mouth movements and slow rate of speech prepare students for future success as they learn to make their speech sound like a single, connected unit.
- Cards 6-9: Regulating/controlling the breath stream
Mastering breath support/control is critical for fluent speech. These exercises help form the foundation for increasing fluency.
- Cards 10-14: Establishing light articulatory contact
Using light articulatory contact helps students reduce tension in speech, which can decrease the length of a prolongation or block.
- Cards 15-19: Controlling speaking rate
Students learn the effect of speaking rate on speech fluency and acquire useful strategies to control their rate of speech.
- Cards 20-24: Oral planning and coordination
Students learn to visualize successful speaking situations.
- Cards 25-27: Desensitization
Students acquire techniques to reduce anxiety and build confidence when speaking.
- Cards 28-31: Modifying the stuttering moment
These exercises teach students how to change stuttering moments and decrease frustration.
- Cards 32-35: Reduction of word avoidance behaviors
Students use these strategies to decrease fear of difficult words or situations.
- Cards 36-40: Self-awareness and self-monitoring
Students take ownership of their speech and begin to monitor speech fluency independently.
- Cards 41-44: Positive attitude toward self and communication
Students will recognize and embrace their uniqueness and develop personal pride.
- Cards 45-50: Transfer and maintenance
Motivate students to work on speech skills outside of the therapy room with engaging activities.
Fluency Scenes Adolescent
- 50 double-sided, sturdy picture/stimuli cards (8½”x11”)
- Vinyl storage folder