Teach students how to infer information from pictures, idioms, and short stories using the lessons in No-Glamour Inferences. Students will learn to recognize and interpret available information, find patterns and similarities within prior knowledge and experience, and use appropriate language to explain and verify inferences by getting input from others. 220 pages (8½" x 11"). plus an answer key.
Lessons and activities include:
- What Will Happen Next? Find a picture that best completes the sequence and explain why. Describe the last step in a picture sequence.
- What's Missing? Find what's missing in a picture and explain why the missing item is important. Identify what's missing in a picture sequence and tell what probably happened between the first and last picture.
- Picture Scene Inferences Find the absurdities in pictures and explain what is wrong.
- Object Inferences Solve riddles with pictures based on different categories animals, transportation, appliance, furniture, clothing, and food. Give as many answers as possible. Combine clues and determine missing information to solve object riddles with and without pictures.
- Agent Inferences Decide who is being talked about based on clues and fill in missing information. Picture clues gradually fade.
- Location Inferences Decide where something happened based on clues and fill in missing information.
- Feelings Inferences Act out and guess emotions. Infer feelings illustrated in pictures. Decide how someone feels based on clues. Fill in missing information to match the situations. Match feeling words to sentences.
- Making Predictions Make predictions based on word clues.
- Cause and Effect Inferences Determine the cause of a situation or event based on word clues.
- How Would You Know? Tell how you know something based on word clues.
- Inferring From Idioms Use context clues to determine the meanings of different idioms based on animal and body part themes.
- Inferring From Short Stories Read short stories and answer four inference questions about each story.