- Ages: 8-30 months (up to 37 months with CDI III extension)
- MacArthur-Bates CDIs Complete Kit includes: 25 Words & Gestures Forms; 25 Words & Sentences Forms; 25 CDI III Forms; and Manual. (2007)
- Qualification Level: B
The MacArthur-Bates Communicative Development Inventories (CDIs) provide a systematic way for professionals to use parents as informants regarding their child’s language. They enable professionals to tap into parents’ knowledge about their young children’s communicative development for use in screening and developing a prognosis for children with language delays. It also ensures they are meeting mandates for including parent input in child evaluation procedures.
- The User's Guide and Technical Manual provides complete instructions, technical reports, norms, and guidance on interpreting scores for various subpopulations.
- The Words & Gestures forms tap into parents' day-to-day knowledge about their children’s language and communication skills between the ages of 8 and 18 months.
- The Words & Sentences forms tap into parents' day-to-day knowledge about their children’s language and communication skills between the ages of 16 and 30 months.
- CDI III, an extension of the CDIs for children between 30 and 37 months of age, is a short, single-sheet tool that measures expressive vocabulary and grammar.