- Testing Time: 20-25 minutes
- Norm-referenced; standard score and percentile rank
- Complete MVPT-4 kit includes: Manual, Test Plates, and 25 Record Forms. (2015)
- Qualification Level: B
The Motor-Free Visual Perception Test - Fourth Edition (MVPT-4) is the most recent revision of the only non-motor visual perceptual assessment that can be used throughout the lifespan. The MVPT-4 provides a quick, reliable, and valid measure of overall visual perceptual ability in children and adults. The MVPT-4 includes 45 items from the MVPT-3 which have been reorganized and grouped for easier administration.
Stimuli are comprised of black-and-white line drawings and designs, with answer choices presented in an easy to record multiple-choice format. No motor involvement is needed to make a response, making the test particularly useful with those who may have motor disabilities. The MVPT is one of the most widely used visual perceptual assessments used by occupational therapists and driver rehabilitation specialists.
The MVPT-4 is designed to be used for screening and research purposes by psychologists, occupational therapists, educational specialists, optometrists, and others who may need to determine a person's overall ability to discern and understand visual stimuli.
Visual Perceptual Abilities Assessed
The following tasks are assessed:
- Visual Discrimination - the ability to discriminate dominant features of different objects, including the ability to discriminate position, shapes, and forms
- Spatial Relationships - the ability to perceive the positions of objects in relation to oneself and to other objects. Items assess the perception of pictures, figures, or patterns that are disoriented in relation to each other, such as figure reversals and rotations
- Visual Memory - the ability to recognize a previously presented stimulus item after a brief interval
- Figure-Ground - the ability to distinguish an object from background or surrounding objects
- Visual Closure - the ability to perceive a whole figure when only fragments are presented
The MVPT-4 includes new norms for ages 4-0 through 80+ years. Data was collected from 2012-2014 on a national, stratified sample of more than 2700 individuals. Results of reliability and validity studies are provided, as well as performance comparisons with clinical populations.
Administration and Scoring
The MVPT-4 takes approximately 20-25 minutes to administer. Test plates are contained in one easy-to use book with an easel back. Test administration cues are provided in the test plates to facilitate administration. Scoring is extremely easy; no basals or ceilings are needed. The raw score is quickly converted to ONE overall standard score and percentile rank.
Complete MVPT-4 kit includes: Manual, Test Plates, and 25 Record Forms in a durable portfolio.