- Testing Time: 15 to 20 minutes
- Norm-referenced; Standard scores, percentile ranks, and age equivalents
- Complete SPELT-3 kit includes: Manual, 54 Color Photographs (3½" x 5½") in a bound album, and 50 Response Forms. (2003)
- Qualification Level: A
The SPELT-3 includes 54 new full color photographs of everyday situations and objects paired with simple verbal questions and statements to elicit specific morphological and syntactic structures. It allows for analysis of specific language structures that may not occur in spontaneous language samples. The child’s strengths and weaknesses can be readily identified. Test items target the child’s use of MORPHOLOGY (preposition, plural, possessive noun and pronoun, reflexive pronoun, subject pronoun, direct/indirect object, present progressive, regular and irregular past, future, contractible/uncontractible copula, contractible/uncontractible auxiliary) and SYNTAX (negative, conjoined sentence, "Wh" question, interrogative reversal, negative infinitive phrase, propositional complement, relative clause, and front embedded clause).
- Standard scores, confidence intervals, percentile ranks, percentile bands and test-age equivalents are provided for females and males ages 4 through 9.
- Normative tables are based on a national sample of over 2000 children from the four geographical areas specified by the U.S. Census Bureau.
- Fifty-four 4" x 6" real life color photos in an album provide larger improved stimulus pictures.
- Updated pictures reflect a more current or non-biased representation.
- New morphological and syntactical structures have been added such as "wh" clause, relative clause, front embedded clause, and propositional complement.
- A new chapter on African American English and scoring guide are provided by Nola T. Radford, Ph. D.
- A new chapter on the technical qualities of the SPELT-3 standardization sample scores is provided by Laura Barnes, Ph.D.
The SPELT II has been a popular test used nationally and internationally to assess children who experience language problems. It has been one of the most commonly used tests as reported in the literature. The new SPELT-3 continues to utilize the same format as previous successful versions while updating the stimulus photographs, items, normative data and test manual. There is an expanded discussion of test scoring, test interpretation, and the standardization procedures and scores.