- Testing Time: 30 minutes to 1 hour
- Norm-referenced; age equivalents, percentile ranks, subtest standard (scaled) scores, and composite indexes.
- Complete TOLD: I-4 Kit: Examiner’s Manual, Picture Book, and 25 Examiner/Record Forms, all in a sturdy storage box. (2008)
- Qualification Level: B
The Test of Language Development: Intermediate-Fourth Edition (1) identifies children who are significantly below their peers in oral language proficiency, (2) determines their specific strengths and weaknesses in oral language skills, (3) documents their progress in remedial programs, and (4) measures oral language in research studies.
Six Subtests and Composites measure semantics or grammar skills. Two subtests measure listening abilities; two measure organizing abilities; and two measure speaking abilities. The combination of all six subtests represents overall spoken language.
TOLD-I: 4 Subtests:
- Sentence Combining – The child is to form one compound or complex sentence from two or more simpler sentences spoken by the examiner.
- Picture Vocabulary – The child is to point to one picture that best represents a series of two-word stimulus items.
- Word Ordering – The child is to form a complete, correct sentence from a randomly-ordered string of words, ranging from three to seven in length.
- Relational Vocabulary – The child must tell how three words, spoken by the examiner, are alike.
- Morphological Comprehension – The child must distinguish between grammatically correct and incorrect sentences.
- Multiple Meaning – The examiner says a word to the child who responds by saying as many different meanings for that word as he/she can think of.
New features of the TOLD: I-4
- Demographics represent a sample of the 2005 population.
- Floor effects eliminated.
- Numerous validity studies provided.
- New composites for Organizing and Multiple Meaning are in the battery.
- Testing range now includes 13-0 to 17-11.
- Testing manual is more user-friendly.
The Test of Language Development: Intermediate-4th Edition is well-constructed, reliable, practical, research-based, and theoretically sound.