Ages: 3 to 21;11 years
Administration time: 5 to 10 minutes for each test and 45 minutes for the General Language Ability Index (known as the Core Composite in the original CASL)
Norm-referenced: descriptive ranges, confidence intervals, percentile ranks, test-age equivalents, and grade equivalents. Index scores available as descriptive ranges, confidence intervals, and percentile ranks
CASL-2 Kit: 10 Comprehensive Forms (Ages 3 – 21;11); Easel 1; Easel 2; Easel 3; Examiner’s Manual. Boxed. (2017)
Qualification Level: B
What’s new in CASL-2?
- All new normative data and more extensive clinical groups
- 14 individual tests (CASL’s Paragraph Comprehension test was removed.)
- Expanded age range for most of the 14 tests to include younger children
- Updated items to include current technology (no more payphone!)
- Full-color easels and new, more engaging artwork
- Alternative scoring guidelines for African-American dialect
- Updated record form design for easy scoring
- Item Analysis Worksheet for developing intervention plans and writing IEP goals
- Consistent, easy-to-remember start and stop rules across all tests
Applications and Uses
Speech–language pathologists and other qualified professionals in a multitude of settings can use CASL-2 to answer a variety of referral questions: eligibility for speech services, placement in special education, determining if a language delay or disorder is present, measuring progress during RTI, or measuring language abilities in English language learners.
What It Measures
For children and young adults ages 3 to 21;11, the CASL-2 measures spoken language across four structural categories:
- Lexical/Semantic: Knowledge and use of words and word combinations
- Syntactic: Knowledge and use of grammar
- Supralinguistic: Knowledge and use of language in which meaning is not directly available from the surface lexical and syntactic information
- Pragmatic Language: Knowledge of language that is appropriate across different situational contexts and ability to modify language according to the social situation
Within these categories, 14 stand-alone tests give you the flexibility to measure only the specific area or areas that interest you. Interpret each test separately and/or combine test scores to get a wider picture of oral language skills. The CASL-2 tests feature extended age ranges in order to start assessing and intervening earlier, as well as track progress in the same child over many years. Many of the tests now include younger ages, and all of them extend to age 21;11.
How It Works
Using one of three self-standing, full-color test easels, the administrator reads items aloud and the examinee responds by speaking or pointing.
There are two CASL-2 record forms. Use the Comprehensive Form (included in the complete kit) to record responses for all 14 tests for all ages 3;0-21;11. The Comprehensive Preschool Form (NOT INCLUDED in the complete kit, but sold separately) is for recording the 10 tests used with children ages 3-6. Using the appropriate form, administrator records the examinee’s responses by hand. Suggested Start Items allow administrators to skip the items not applicable to the individual’s age. Consistent basal and ceiling rules save time by making it easy to remember when to stop.
After recording answers by hand, you have the option to enter them online for instant scoring at no cost. FREE online scoring is available through the WPS Online Evaluation System (platform.wpspublish.com)
. Automatic reporting features include a Score Report with Item Analysis and a Progress Report. HIPAA compliant, the WPS Online Evaluation System allows you to securely and conveniently keep a record of your administrations and share helpful information with parents, teachers, and others involved in treatment.
A clinical validation sample demonstrates that the CASL-2 can differentiate between typically developing individuals and those with:
- Expressive and/or receptive language disorder
- Hearing impairment
- Autism spectrum disorder
- Social (pragmatic) communication disorder
- Intellectual disability
- Learning disability
- Developmental delay
The CASL-2 has strong internal consistency and test-retest/interrater reliability, demonstrating the stability and reliability of results over time and across raters. Comparative studies with the original CASL, the new OPUS test, OWL-II, and CELF-5 show correlations are strong but different enough to support that the CASL-2 can measure unique aspects of spoken language.
by purchasing the combo package of CASL-2
and its companion test, OPUS (Oral Passage Understanding Scale).
You’ll receive the CASL-2 Complete Kit:
10 Comprehensive Forms (Ages 3 – 21;11); Easel 1; Easel 2; Easel 3; and Examiner’s Manual PLUS the OPUS Complete Kit:
Easel (test plates), Examiner’s Manual, and 10 record forms. Boxed. (2017).