START-IN (Students Are Responding To Intervention), developed by Drs. Judy Montgomery and Barbara J. Moore, is a nine-week, 45-hour, small-group (1–5 students), evidence-based program for struggling readers in elementary grades (preferably grades 3–8).
This Response to Intervention Program consists of 16 Tasks that address the five building blocks of reading according to National Reading Panel (NRP) – Phonemic Awareness, Phonics, Fluency, Vocabulary, and Text Comprehension. Students with reading difficulties complete the 16 tasks in one hour sessions, five days a week, using reading materials from their classroom or library. Field tested for three years in urban schools, START-IN reduces unnecessary or inappropriate referrals to special education.
The 112-page START-IN book explains the eight steps to begin the program, the research behind the tasks, detailed instructions for completing the tasks, and how to measure student responsiveness.
- Uses only research-based strategies.
- Teaches rather than tests.
- Is ideal for underperforming schools.
- Helps students avoid unnecessary labels.
- Encourages collaboration between Speech-Language Pathologists, Special Education and Resource Teachers, and Reading Specialists.
- Meets IDEA 2004 provisions to assess a student's responsiveness to intervention before referral for special education assessment.
- Includes all activity sheets, data collection forms, parent permission, and administrator checklists in the book and on the CD-ROM.
START-IN Complete Kit includes the Program Book with CD-ROM for printing all forms and student activity pages, Materials Kit, a Story Grammar Marker, and 100 START-IN Lesson Plans.
START-IN Materials Kit:
- 5 MagneTalk personal word walls
- 440 magnetic word cards
- 7 new word pouches
- 7 retired word pouches
- 7 sight word pouches
- 310 letter tiles
- 7 plastic word baggies
- 300 index cards and timer
- 7 packs sticky notes
- Wet erase markers & highlighters
100 START-IN Lesson Plans:
- 100 reproducible lesson plans based on 28 popular children's books
- 404 pages, 8½" x 11"
High School Lesson Plans
View Time Saving START-IN Tips